A new feature that we’re about to launch is private charts .
The idea is that you can make a chart PIN protected so that only users who know the chart’s PIN can see it. The screenshot below is what will happen if try to visit the public shared url of a private chart.
This feature will only be available to premium members. We hope you think that it will be worth it! Below are the steps to create a private shared chart
- First, you must be a registered user and logged in (this is free)
- You must save your chart to your dashboard (another free service)
- Now, to create the pin when click share, you’ll see a prompt asking you to create a pin:
- That’s it you can now give out the pin to people who you want to be able to view the chart.
We have tried to make it easy for people to share charts. Just follow these steps:
- Go to any chart type. I will use a pie chart example
- Enter your data
- (This step is recommended but not required) In the “Labels” tab, enter a title:
- Click on the “Display” tab , then the “share” button:
- Copy your share url and send it out to the internet!!
The reason that we recommend in step 3 that you type a title in the “labels” section is that the share url is more readable and will use the chart title.
Now that you know how to share charts, check out how to make a shared chart private by creating a PIN
This is a 2 part tutorial.
I. How to Save A Chart
II. How to Edit Saved Charts
Part I : How to Save a Chart
- You must be logged in to Meta-chart in order to save your chart. So, before you make your chart, log in.
If you are not logged in, you will see the warning below . This is bad. You need to login in immediately and start making your chart all over again.
- Ok, so you’re logged in. Now , go ahead and make a chart. I made a pie chart comparing meta-chart.com with a site that is fictional (at least at the time of this blog post) called “Lame-chart . com” . Once you get to the display tab , click the save button!
- When you press the save button, you should get a message/prompt telling you that the chart was successfully saved.
Part II : How to Edit a Chart you already saved
- Now, let’s say that a week later, I realized that I made an error on my chart and I want to go back and edit my saved chart. I just log in and go to the dashboard by clicking on my name on the top menu.
- Clicking on your name, will take you to your dashboard. The dashboard is just a place to save and organize your charts, nothing more. We organize your saved charts into folders, and when you save a chart, we put it in the “Uncategorized” folder :
- Click on “uncategorized” as shown above and on the right side you should see the charts that you have saved :
- Click on the “edit” button as shown below
Doing so will load your old chart’s data back into the chart editor where you can change anything that you like and re-save or share it.